29.8 All Report In for the 1st Week of March – A – Long 2013March 9, 2013
This is the time for everyone to report in for their actions of the first week of the March-A-Long.
For those new to the blog, this is a 15 minute per day challenge where YOU (and I) attempt to do some ‘quilty stuff’ each day.
You can chose to use my daily format for reporting in, or just give a general synopsis. Did you make your goals for the week?
I am attempting my first linky party with this too. I will leave links open until the end of March. If you have a March A Long blog post, link it below.
I know it’s short notice, but people who leave comments/links before tomorrow AM will be included in the report in tomorrow’s (Sunday’s) podcast.
For each week that you participate in the March A Long, I will put your name in a drawing to receive at least Leah Day’s beginning Free Motion Quilt book patterns called from Daisy to Paisley. This drawing will be done at the end of the month and may include more things, such as charm packs or other quilty items yet to be determined.
Also feel free to download and/or use my day graphics (saved as .png). I am starting to learn how to use EQ7 and so its kind of fun to take a tiny bit of time playing around with the site.
But first this year’s logo:
I’m counting the first week from Sunday through Saturday. The first two days of march were not in a full week of their own, so they’re kind of bonus this time.
March-A-Long Week 1 – Scientific Quilter
Sunday I ripped out pieces of paper on the back of my ribbons weave quilt borders.
Monday I took an old (~2 year old) EQ7 picture outline and labeled it with pencil. For applique.
Tuesday, I figured out how to print using my printer on freezer paper. I found by taking the freezer paper, ironing it to a plain piece of paper, and very forcefully and fully taping the paper down on the leading edge with painter’s tape to help it get into the printer without loading issues.
Wednesday, I sat and stared at all the freezer paper pieces I printed on Tuesday and wondered exactly how to make the whole thing work on applique because I didn’t allow for space to ‘turn under’ the applique edges, and overlapping pieces to keep continuity of the design. This was all “mental work” for 15 minutes. And I even dreamed about paper piecing the entire thing. Seriously.
Thursday, I went to my friend’s house, and armed with fresh pieces of freezer paper, I made the decision about which pieces would be on top of my applique, and then made the hard choice of tracing all the applique again onto new fresh freezer paper pieces that DO have space around the edges for overlapping. Then I sewed down the borders of my periodic table applique that has been sitting in time out for a year.
Friday, I completely poopooed the 15 minute idea, deciding to exercise and go to bed early instead. I had done more than 15 minutes on Thursday to make up for this. 😉
Saturday, today, I picked out some fabrics that may go with the applique I was cutting out on Thursday. Then I got out a fabric piece for a completely different applique project that I purchased just after my Sunflower Patio Dreams quilt was appliqued down. This project is called Wildflowers and is the basis of the flower design on my nametag I made several years ago.
I then tried to go to quilter’s cache, and did not find it loading for me, and then I went to EQ7 and drew out the garden maze sashing that I always envisioned for the wildflower quilt. I don’t have the border fabric picked out yet, nor the garden maze sashing fabrics picked out, aside from the colors, but I DO have a limited amount of fabric to use for my applique background blocks and am in the process of cutting it out right now.
I also spent about an hour writing up a story about my Star Struck quilt, and sent the quilt off in the mail to its lucky recipient.
Here are a few photos of this week’s progress and things I’ve been doing.
Now here’s a chance to inLinkz for the first week of March.