33.0 Ten Minute Teal CathedralsNovember 24, 2013
Sharing some quilting progress I have made in the last few months. I will so the quilts one at a time so they each get their own post!
This quilt is essentially finished, minus the final hand-sewn step of the binding.
I have sewn down the binding on the front and will work on the hand work Wednesday & Thursday of thanksgiving week – that’s next week! Or this week actually!
I have had the top done for quite a while & finally decided a month ago to get on the ball with finishing this up. So the Tuesday before our holiday dinner with the guild, I quilted it on the long arm, using a pattern I had bought a year & a half ago – heart pantograph.
This was the follow up Tuesday after my quilting retreat, and it’s lovely to use all the “quilty momentum” – yes that’s a thing – to propel me in a quilting finish.
Unfortunately due to the ‘cathedralness’ of these windows, I should have glued them down prior to showing up to quilt it, it hit a few snags which I will also try to fix.
It’s amazing to see the progress of such a quilt over time since it’s been so long ago that I’ve actively worked on the quilt.
I’ll take you through a picture journey of this quilt throughout the process. Since I love process so much.
First the fabric choices. This was due to a guild speaker or member who was doing a quick guild meeting on the 10 minute block. I picked these out early morning, anxious to see them all work together.
Then doing the weird twist thing with the blocks. The red piece is folded over and sewn into groups of two other fabrics. Geesh it’s been a long time since I did this step!
I remember needing lots of pins to get the middle to stay in there correctly.
And then I was trying out some grey for the centers. To roll over some of the blocks.
Then I had to make some visual decisions.
And finding the right borders when putting these blocks together. I wasn’t even out looking for borders, they found me at Hancock fabrics when I went to get some interfacing for a completely unrelated project.
And I remember finishing them up at retreat and then putting them all together there.
Then five months later, I got the borders on.
And after a year and a half at this state, I finally said – no more waiting.
I have done some other quilty finishes and top finishes, but I am going to spread them out in several posts – maybe even set up to post this week!