h1

36.8 Translating quilting pattern to Ceramic

March 7, 2015

Hey!

I have started to look at EQ7 again with my March-A-Long goals. Later today is the day I meet with the quilter for the Royal Red King’s Puzzle quilt.

So I have been doing some quiet quilting, even a little applique at the car oil change place!

Yesterday I had a unique art experience I had to share at Sunfire Ceramics.

There is this cute little shop in Lawrence KS just downtown off to the side a little bit. And they have all these unglazed pots, bowls, cups, teapots, figurines, etc.

And they have these little tables and whole bunches of glaze that people can come & paint onto their ceramics of their choice.

I have had a coupon (groupon) for like ‘ever’, even bought a 2nd one before using my first.

I have been thinking I was going to paint a teapot. But I like mugs.

And a few months ago, I was planning on going on a monday day off, but they’re closed Mon & Tues. So I decided to take a quilting pattern, one I quilted on the Dancing Ribbons quilt with corners to put on either the teapot/mug.

When I got there, I looked at the shapes of the items, and I decided to make 2 objects, neither of them a teapot.

Finished photo first, after several hours of listening to their music, chilling out at the studio.

Dahlia in ceramics painted

The dahlia is one I quilted in the background on the Dancing Ribbons quilt:

quilting corner tricord colors

Which almost shows up in the picture above, but not exactly.

Anyway, the dahlia had 10 points, so I wasn’t able to divide it into 3 colors to match the tricord colors.

So I put the blue in as a 4th color & alternated rows & colors. Then decided dark teal for the lines & the outside instead of the dark blue.

How did I follow the pattern?

Pencil marks. You take the pattern, trace it over with pencil.

dahlia drawing from pinterest

Then I flipped it over pencil (drawing side) down on top of the plate. I originally tried rubbing with eraser, and that was leaving a little bit of a mark, but not a full mark.

Then I decided to trace the back with pencil, thinking that the pencil on the front would rub off with more pressure on the back. And it worked. The lines on the ceramic were thinly there, but they were there enough to go back & retrace again on the ceramic itself with pencil.

dahlia pencil marks on ceramics

And then after that point I didn’t get any more pictures until the end except for my inspirational art deco pictures I found in a book that was at the shop.

art deco border inspiration

And the setup of the whole table picture.

scene at the ceramics place before painting

The glazes are in the size of the little paints bought at michaels, walmart, etc, and the pallet & paintbrush are there to hold them. It was like going back 20 years to my ceramics class in college.

I also painted a mug as well, with 2 sides. This one also with the same color family to “match”.

painted mug with flower stamp

This side was from a stamp. I had to help enhance the stamp a bit & I  sorta like it, I wonder how it will look when finished.

painted mug with borders

The other side I was using some swoops and dots to make borders. I am a right handed person, so this will be the side I will see the most.

I think I am less happy with the mug because I didn’t have a plan of attack on it, I just wanted to do something nice with borders. I had forgotten to bring my drawing borders book that I own for further inspiration. I never found a book at the library before coming that was perfect inspiration either.

Anyway, next time (I have to come back sometime & do a bargello style mug, I have decided) I will do something different, maybe I will make a red & black one to match my red & black quilt too. I imagine for the bargello mug I will use a stencil or ruler to draw straight lines with.

I wish I would have planned the mug a day ago, I have a picture in my mind to match the red & black quilt, I think that would be nice on a mug!

I used a dark teal as the base of these items, I hope it’s a good enough color combo. We’ll see in a week when the thing gets fired. They put a top coat glaze over the top that is shiny to make the ceramics able to eat off off.

Anyway that’s my non-quilting/quilting adventures for Friday. A lovely day off!

3 comments

  1. What a fantastic idea! We have a similar atore and we go there on the boys’ birthdays. I’ve been working on a set of plates, each different but sort of coordinating, for the longest time. I LOVE your idea to take quilt patterns. Now you must show the results after they come out of the kiln.


  2. Imagine an entire dish set …. then imagine 2115…ANTIQUE ROAD SHOW someone with your dish set gets lots of money for the beautiful art work….. Love it .. you are so inventive… Nonnie


  3. That came out so much better than any of that painting that I’ve ever done!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: