Posts Tagged ‘fans’

h1

33.5 More custom Free Motion Quilting on Fans And Bows

December 10, 2013

I have been working towards quilting this red and white quilt top of mine for over the past week.  I have done a little each day, worked on a little every day, trying to figure out what to do on each section each day, getting a little further in trying to make the designs symmetrical.

I have not finished, but I have been doing an okay job at the FMQ on this red and white quilt.

DSC05757

I have these antennae guys in the corners between some of the red white 9 patches.

You already saw the corner arches, but I decided to go over the tops in red.

DSC05768

and I have some more red quilting in some of the other sections. Like on my fans. Here was the first day. Red on red if you can see.

DSC05764

The design on the fans becomes more evident when I quilted the red on the black.

DSC05767

And there is some overstitch of red on the quilting next to the fans. So I have a few more plans to cover over with red in places, and probably have some more white areas to do once I figure those out.

The back taken at some point really shows the quilting since the back is more black in nature.

DSC05765

And I haven’t yet made up the stitching in the brown sections of the border.

And I have a black lace that I have been wanting to add to this quilt for almost 2 years now.  But that will be added after the main base has been quilted.

I always wanted this quilt to have a lot of quilting. Glad that I waited until I could be “good enough” to quilt this, but not perfect.

I have used a lot of inspirations (no feathers as of yet), I have used a few techniques that I liked, double outlining things, doing rows of beads / a.k.a. pebbles (stone bridges). And swoops.  Now that I’ve started this, I need to keep inspiring myself to finish so I can knock off one inspiring quilt that has been on my list for a really really long while.

I have to start & stop sometimes due to the heat of my plug-in. Which also works out good for my shoulders too. This thing is one of my larger ‘wall quilts’ so it is probably considered lap size. I could consider quilting something bigger on Aquata, and maybe after this, I will do just that.

 

h1

11.9 Quilt Back Completed

February 6, 2011

While procrastinating on the latest podcast (well I worked for like 15 minutes on it today), I finally decided 2 things.

I decided to take some red and blue and yellow fabrics and create THIS quilt for the bed

The quilt is the ‘roman stripe’ quilt with a 6 inch finished red, 1 and a half inch finished dark blue, and a half inch finished yellow stripe.

The quilt block behind is from Quilter Geek Julie’s recent post on pink and black quilts, which I almost considered using (there’s a drawing in here of that one too – not shown).

Which made me cut my (red) fabric(s).  I was trying to go for only one red, but I think I am running out with only one, so I am mixing it up here.  And I am packing up my blue and yellow fabrics to cut during a guild retreat soon.

Which lead me back to looking at my fabrics, and knowing I don’t didn’t have a back for my ribbons and bows quilt, my mind started thinking and planning … which is a scary good thing.

I originally saw a good size of a plain black on black fabric when I was making my Make it Sew project.

Shucks, it was too small … leaving me to put aside.

Today I saw the burgundy fabric for the bed quilt and thought about piecing the back of my bows and fans quilt.

I didn’t take many any pictures, because I started going and thinking.  I had just purchased a fat quarter of a Japanese style fabric last month, so let’s put the back together with scraps of black and color!

But let’s also slice it on one side and reverse the color!  Yeah cool!

The front is so symmetrical, the back didn’t want to be symmetrical too.

Here are the front and back together.

Anyway, I really like this back.  I tend to really like following my hunches.

But because I stole some batting from this quilt for the small kitchen wallhangings, I am slightly short of batting again.  Time to go back to get a little bit more!

I have a lot of projects to take on retreat with me.  Gathering supplies today, it’ll come before I know it!

h1

5.3 Slow quilting on National Quilting Day

March 21, 2010

I know I am a slow quilter.  I had a majority of the top of the fans done at the end of my day on Thursday.

When I took all day to do this and three out of four of them are not sewn down to the background, it makes me really notice how much I get distracted by bad tv shows and good movies playing in the background.

And here is the original photo that I took with poor lighting.

I just uploaded into flicker, edited photo with picnik, hit auto exposure button on Edit tab, then saved the picture.  Makes a world of difference!

Here is an upclose picture of the fan with the bias bar detail.  Only made 28 bias bars, each with Steam a Seam fusible web, that I used for the first time.  It is also my first machine applique project.

Only 3 more fans to sew down and all the bias to sew down.

And for something else:

An image I created with Flame

See you next week or so.