Posts Tagged ‘orange quilt’

h1

22.8 Chunked

February 13, 2012

I am THIS CLOSE to being done with my quilt ….

the center …

without:

  • borders (three)
  • batting (black, need to purchase)
  • backing (need to piece don’t have large piece yet, also not planned)
  • quilting
  • binding – have this planned

And next weekend I’ll be at a retreat that I am excited to work on something else.

Maybe.

But for now lets show you what I did with the chunking on this quilt.


I started with chunking before I even knew how to chunk. Last weekend (Super Bowl weekend), I took one direction, lets say the south west direction in this photo, and sewed all the sashing directly onto the blocks.

Then, I took all the opposite rows of sashing, south east, and sewed them onto the corner stones. Took last weekend to do, lots of sashing & cornerstones, lots of time.

It took Saturday morning and Sunday morning to start sewing the side sashing to the block.

Jaye’s method of chunking involves sashing on both corners to be done first, and then, treating groups of blocks as pieces of blocks.

So I sewed Saturday morning, the 1st middle group together, then afterwards, noticed I flipped the light & dark pattern of my blocks, so I had to rip them out on a long car ride during the day.

Then I resewed the block of four blocks, and sewed another group of four blocks, being careful to alternate my seams. Then two groups of four blocks became a block of 8 blocks. 2 X 4.

If you can really tell I did that again. And I sewed the corners down in rows of three rows.

The longest seam will actually be 5 blocks deep, which is a far cry from the 8-9(?) that are in the quilt from corner to opposite corner.

Good thing is, there are only 2 seams that long, and 3 seams that are 4 blocks deep.

Currently I am trying to get motivation to sew the last few seams together so I can show it off at the meeting tomorrow night.

But I am getting a little sleepy. If I don’t do it now, I may not do it. I mean we have a guild meeting on valentines day.

And I don’t have an extra day off wednesday to recuperate this time.

Next weekend is retreat! Sewing galore!

Well gotta go finish, or work on finishing.

h1

21.9 Here’s a side

January 8, 2012

I admit that I am relatively new to paper piecing.

I pretty much know the basics, usually only have to rip out the first stitch. Today I ripped out one that didn’t fit, and a 2nd that I had folded underneath.

Another thing that I did that I do not recommend:

If your paper piecing is too long to print out on EQ on one full page, do NOT, I repeat – do not, use clear packaging tape to tape the pieces together and stick the tape right dab in the middle of the sewing line.

No my needle didn’t feel gummy or have trouble, but when ripping out the paper, boy it was a problem. Some of the tape is still there, but only a very very little, so I’ll let it be.

But I am considering the best way to put the paper pieces together.

You can see I saved myself some problems by doing a few things.

  1. I sewed a strip set of the four graduating fabrics and cut all three pieces from that piece.  The bottom red/brown I originally intended to piece separately, but in the strip set it went, made it faster & uniform.
  2. By sewing strip sets and boxes, my cross wise grain (or lengthwise grain) ends up on the long diagonal side of this block, which is where a lot of stretch happens.
  3. I actually paper pieced the corners of this block, the black and orange middle points separately onto paper – which is where the tape problem is.

Now I had two options (or more) on how to piece this together.

First option is to sew the bottom pieces, then sew on the top orange piece, then using y seams, sew the middle orange pieces (the short legs of the triangle).  This was my first instinct, but not the one I took.

Nay, nay (says a funny comic)

The second option seemed so much better, so much more inspired by the brilliant quilting decision I made over NYSI to piece the middle of my curved block separately from the two outer pieces (here’s a bad picture beware)

So I decided today on my paper pieced block, that I would sew the top 3 sections together, then sew the bottom 3 sections together, and then sew both pieces together. Which was an … interesting choice to say the least.

This lead to some ‘interesting stitching around the corners.  And some bunching of the seams near the center piece.

But the piece is squared up all perfectly nice even along the diagonal. And I swear I did not cut it down.

So I do want to try again with option 1 on piecing this together and see if it’s any easier.  Essentially I’ll be doing the same thing with different lengths of stitches, but it’ll be good to try another way. Experimenting and all that.

And that’s all I did today — too much time taken up with other things.